It’s easy to let clutter pile up in your home, and sometimes it seems like there’s not quite enough space to store everything. However, with some clever repurposing or reorganization, you can take control of your clutter and create a more efficient living space. Here are five tips to get you started on better organizing your home.
1. Start stacking: If your coffee table or desk seems like mess, stack your magazines and books. Then, place flowers or candles on top of the stack. You’ve suddenly reorganized and created an attractive tabletop display.
2. Bring in some baskets: A shelving unit with room for small baskets is great for organizing similar items and reducing clutter. Label your baskets (try chalk!) and it’ll be easy to find specific things when you need them.
3. Tap into trays: All those items that have overtaken your bathroom counter? Find a shallow tray, and then use it to contain your bottles, lotions, and other bathroom products.
4. Tuck in your throw blanket: Rather than tossing your blanket across the arm of the couch, fold it lengthwise, then in half, and tuck it over one of the cushions on your sofa. It’ll create a neater appearance and add a cool accent to your sofa.
5. Declutter your closet: Here’s a cool trick for deciding which clothes you actually wear, and which ones and you no longer need. Turn all the hangers in your closet backwards. When you wear something, put the hanger back the right way. After six months or a year, sell, donate, or throw out anything that’s still hanging backwards.